Tuesday, January 22, 2013

One Heart, Two Homes

Happy Tuesday to you!
The sun is out, the kids are back in school and for the moment everyone is healthy and I am praying we stay that way. Chris was home from school every day last week and he was nice enough to share his little virus with his mom.  So far the other two have managed to escape the nastiness which is good because we have a busy week ahead.

Today is a Ten Things Tuesday at Practical Scrappers and our theme is patterned paper. I happen to love patterned paper. One look in my scrap room will give away the fact that I tend to buy and hoard it. There is something so delicious about the mix of colors and patterns that makes it impossible for me to walk away from certain pages and lines without buying. The problem is I fall in love with the paper and then don't want to use it, or I save it because I just know the perfect picture is going to come along.  Sound familiar? Anyone or I am I the only crazy paper lover?! Today we are challenging you to get that paper out and scrap with it.

The layout I created is a two page non-photo layout where the patterned paper takes center stage. This is only the second non photo layout I've ever done. It's not normal for me,  but the subject I wanted to scrap just seemed like one where I wanted the words to be the focus. I shared my One Word layout on the last post and plan to create a full album as I focus and work on this area in my life. This layout follows that word Connect. One of the areas I need to connect with is my own feelings that I've pushed down and pretended don't exist. We have moved 3 times in the last three years and with that I've had a hard time really dealing with the emotions that moving brings. Here I talk about the conflict I feel with being where I am verses where I've been. I'm finding that this is my form of scrap therapy! Cheaper than a counselor?? We'll see!


As you can see the patterned paper stands out on this page, especially against the gray background. The paper is from a My Mind's Eye collection that I had left over from quite awhile ago. I love the colors on it. I first cut the heart out of cardstock with my Cricut. I then started to piece the different patterns together on my heart to create the mosaic design. I love how it turned out. I wanted the words one and two to stand up off the page a bit so I cut the letters out several times with my Cricut using the Type Candy cartridge and then layered them on top of each other adding a bit of dimension to my title. You can see a little bit of what I'm talking about here. The letters don't lay completely flat.


Finally, I covered some Maya Road chipboard pieces with matching patterned paper and placed them on some cute ric rac I had in my stash.

The journaling reads: When we left Colorado for Nebraska 10 years ago, I thought my heart would break in two pieces. Denver was my home. It was family, memories, tradition, comfort. Now we are back and I am realizing that Lincoln has my heart, our new and amazing family and friends, the boys childhood memories and new traditions. It too is home. I'm happy, sad, conflicted and confused. One heart, two homes.

Deep, I know! I'm interested to see where this particular project of mine will go. For now, I think I am going to go scrap something fun and light.

Have a super day and please stop by the Practical Scrappers blog, give us a like and find some more ways to use that patterned paper!
Lisa


2 comments:

  1. This is awesome,love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, this is a fabulous two pager. I love the colours, the mosaic heart and the ric rac. Love it so much!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate each one that comes in.